Monday, January 06, 2014

REVIEW: Girl of Lies

Title: Girl of Lies
Author: Charles Sheehan-Miles
Genre: thriller
Price: $3.99 (ebook) $14.11 (paperback)
Publisher: Cincinnatus Press
ISBN: 978-0989868860
Point of Sale: Amazon  Barnes & Noble
Reviewed by: Chris Gerrib 

This blog has been a fan of Charles Sheehan-Miles since I reviewed Republic back in 2007.  So, when I noticed that Charles had brought out a new novel in his Thompson Sisters series, I purchased and downloaded it immediately.  As usual, I’m glad I did.

Charles’ first few novels were military thrillers, some of them with a future history edge to them.  It seemed like it took him a long time to write each one.  Then he switched to romance, and cranked out three novels in as many years, focusing on the Thompson family’s love life.  Well, we’re still looking at the Thompson sisters in Girl of Lies, but this ain’t no romance – this is a straight-out thriller.

The basic plot of Girl is that Andrea Thompson, a high-school aged sister who’s been raised by her grandmother in Spain, is called back to America because her niece Rachel needs a bone marrow transplant.  No sooner has Andrea arrived in the US then she’s kidnapped, literally right out of the airport.  Andrea escapes, but the people who kidnapped are by no means done with the family.

Deciphering why Andrea and the rest of her family are targets becomes the problem that propels the plot – that and staying alive.  Sheehan-Miles very skillfully interweaves this action with the interpersonal interactions of the characters.  Everybody feels real, and the action is well-delivered and realistic.  I have to say, I devoured Girl of Lies.  My only disappointment was that the book ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger.  But I guess I’ll have to wait for the next two installments, promised this spring and summer.  Highly recommended.   


9/10 

1 comment:

Renz Sacon said...

Dear Chris.

I read your review of Charles Sheehan-Miles book Girls of Lies and feel that you did a great job. In my judgment, your review was balanced, fair and well-thought out. You have demonstrated a justified objectivity, giving a reader a clear impression of what to expect from the novel. I will be following your other reviews with interest.


Thanks!