Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What a POD Peep Reads -- Ecoerotica

Title: Ecoerotica
Author: Selena Kitt
Genre:Erotica
Price: $5.99 (ebook) / $12.25 (paperback)
Publisher: eXcessica
ISBN: N/A
Reviewed by: Emily Veinglory

Selena Kitt clearly knows how to write.  Hot sex, characters, themes, the whole thing.  So I am not sure why I just did not enjoy this collection of erotica short stories.

Part of it might be that the first three stories were basically a combination of a couple having sex, and somebody (or multiple individuals) being killed.  I don't know about the average reader but I don't find horrible, untimely deaths all that sexy.  Also each of these stories ended with a minor essay about  how we are destroying the planet, which is worthy but preachy.  After reading these stories I put the book down and didn't pick it up for, well, about three years.

I picked it up again and found the fourth story to be a variation on the same theme. The fifth was so off the theme it felt like it had been jammed into the collection sideways and clearly did not belong there.  It was sexy as hell and had a nice wistful tone, but I was so emotionally braced for someone to die my main reaction was surprise that nobody did. The final story was wildly quirky and pretty enjoyable, but too little and too late.

Then there is a full 17-pages of back matter made up mainly of blurbs for the the author's other books.  I don't know about you but I think when they entire book only 147 pages long and I paid 12 dollars for it, that's a bit excessive.

 Overall I am convinced this author can write very well indeed, but this was not a work I enjoyed.

5/10

No comments: