Monday, November 21, 2011

Some Final Thoughts from a Pod Peep

It is with great joy and sadness that I announce my departure from the Podpeople blog and the Indie Book Bloggers Review arena.

Over the past year, my writerly focus has shifted a bit. I put my own current WIP on hold and decided on a whim to dedicate my attention exclusively to the short fiction community, specifically, the flash fiction community, a genre generally misunderstood and sorely in need of advocacy and publication venues. Self-publishing has gone mainstream since I began advocating for the industry back in 2005, and I have reviewed many a good book and have seen many of those authors move on to traditional publishing contracts. I have also read and reviewed a good many excellent books whose Indie authors have chosen to stay the course, myself included, and I wish much success to everyone and anyone who has the guts to take their words and put them out there.

I have finished reviews for authors in my queue who paid for and sent me a hardcopy of their book. All eBook queries in my queue will remain, though I cannot specify timeframes on when they will be read or even if they will be read and/or reviewed. I do hope to get to all of them eventually, time permitting, and if I do, the reviews will be independently posted by me to Amazon and Goodreads, but not necessarily to the Podpeople blog.

Change is good, and often we need to reevaluate not only our work but also the direction we have chosen to take on our artistic journey. This year, I have had over sixty-five of my own short stories published and/or accepted for publication at various online and print journals and have already published dozens of excellent authors.

It is just time for me to move on. I want to focus on publishing other authors now instead of just reviewing them. To me, publication has more impact than a review. I have my own publication imprint, and I thought that now might be a good time to take advantage of it in creative ways other than simply publishing my own work.

I do hope you will visit me at my new flash fiction eZine: Apocrypha and Abstractions.

If you write micro flash, feel free to submit. We are listed at Duotrope's Digest, and if you love reading it, we are currently working on our eighth issue with possible print editions in the future. You can also find me over at Fictionaut, the premier short fiction networking community.

Thank you for being a Podpeople supporter. As always, Emily is looking for book reviewers, so if you are interested in taking my place, give her a shout.

Good luck to all the Independent writers out there. Rock on! Keep doing what your doing, unless of course, it’s bad editing.

Happy Holidays from a peep.


6 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

Damn and blast. Just when I have a new book coming out too. (It's literally off to the printers today.) You are right, of course, and you have to follow your star. Don't write much flash but I've subscribed to your blog.

Cheryl Anne Gardner said...

Thanks Jim. It was one of those "I don't have enough time in the day to do what I want to do" things. Something had change, but after three+ years and countless reviews, it will be nice to just read for reading's sake for a change and not have to worry about writing a review. I do love your work though, so I'll probably pick it up anyway if it's in ebook format.

Jim Murdoch said...

The paperback is coming out first but I'll let you know when it's available as an ebook.

Cheryl Anne Gardner said...

Excellent. Not that I didn't like free review books, but I also like supporting Indie authors, so do let me know. I can read kindle books and straight epubs both on my new kindle fire.

DED said...

Sorry to see you go, Cheryl. I've enjoyed reading your "Thought on The Craft" column. Even if I didn't have the time to comment, each one inspired me to examine my thoughts about writing.

Best wishes to you for your future endeavors.

Cheryl Anne Gardner said...

Thanks. I hope it all works out. It's a monumental effort to get a new zine off the ground. I've also got to finish my own manuscript that's been languishing for 3 years in the editorial abyss. Things are moving along and I hope to finally get the thing published early next year.