Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thoughts on Vacation

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." -- Aristotle

Everyone who knows me knows that I am an avid gardener and an earth activist. My garden is a certified wildlife sanctuary with the NWF.org, and I participate in Earth Day Clean up Projects every year. This year will be no different. That would be why my vacations tend to be unplugged vacations. Not that I don't love the interwebz or watching the occasional TV program or playing a video game or two now and then. I like those things, but I grew up unwired. None of this shit existed except for Television, and that was more for a rainy day than the mind numbing staple of modern life that it is now, and I survived my twenties without a cell phone or a computer. Even as young adults, I remember spending the majority of my time outside when I wasn't working. Even house parties on New Year's eve always managed to work their way outside for some reason. So maybe that's why I can detach myself from it so easily and have no trouble finding sanctuary while weeding. And sitting in the backyard or on the beach with a good book ... that is an ideal way for me to pass the time. That's why I am an e-ink dedicated ebook reader. All the literature I can handle with none of the distractions. If I am gonna get distracted, it's going to be by a real bird tweeting. And yes, I read outside in the sun!!

Happy Earth day all. Our regularly scheduled programing will return next week, maybe.

Cheryl Anne Gardner

EarthDay.org

No comments: