Monday, January 19, 2009

A Little Levity on Artistic Voice...

As an artist, I can't be so serious all the time that I forget to laugh at myself, so...

Recently, I shared a portion of my controversial novella Thin Wall with a old highschool artist friend, and he said, and I quote: "Cheryl, you write like a gay man."

I thought that was hilarious. He wasn't being mean or critical. It was one of the finest compliments I have ever received, and I understood what he meant. My writing tends to be very aggressive like a man but has the unabashed sentimentality of a love-struck woman. And his comment did make me think a bit on my particular style and my artistic voice. How can that be a bad thing?

I have always wanted to write with my (metaphorical) cock in one hand and my heart in the other, so I guess I accomplished that. Too bad the pencil is in my ass.

No comments: