Thursday, January 03, 2008

MY STORY: Rita Y. Toews

1) Why did you choose to self-publish and what were your expectations?
I self-published when no traditional publisher seemed interested in my children's anti-bully book. I had placed a free electronic copy of The Bully: A Discussion and Activity Story on my website. Interest was immediate. I even received an order for 200 copies of the book in print format! To meet the order I decided to self-publish.

I expected to sell several thousand copies of the book and I was not disappointed.

2) Why did you select your specific publisher?
I started my own publishing company for the book. I did the lay-out and cover design myself.

3) How is it going so far? Are you achieving your goals?
I believe I have achieved my goals. I am now into a second printing. The Bully is in use in schools throughout North America and has been shipped to Australia and New Zealand. Several police departments have ordered the book in bulk for use in anti-bully campaigns. My customers include schools, health centres, grandparents, police departments and parents.

4) What advice would you give a person who has completed their manuscript and is considering self-publishing?
Be aware of your per unit cost. Can you sell enough copies of the book to cover your investment. If you know your niche market, concentrate your efforts in promoting the book within that market.




The Bully: A Discussion and Activity Story: www.thebullybook.com
A children's story and activity book on bullying for children grades K-3. Illustrations can be used as a colouring book as the subject of bullying is discussed. Question and answer sections for both children and parent/caregivers that offer practical advice on how to deal with bully situations in a positive manner.

Rita Y. Toews
Author/Publisher

No comments: