Saturday, September 01, 2007

Anatomy of a Purchase

1) Which self-published book did you purchase?

The Confession of Piers Gaveston by Brandy Purdy, published through iUniverse.

2) How did you come across it?

I've been buying Edward II-related books on eBay from Brandy for a while, so when I learned that her own novel was coming out, I couldn't resist!

3) Did anything put you off the purchase?

No. The back cover copy made me want to read more.

4) What made you decide to buy the book?

I'm fascinated with this period of history. Besides that, one of the great things about historical fiction is seeing what different authors make of the same historical characters. Piers is a major character in my own novel, but his relationship with Edward II is treated very differently in Brandy's book. There's debate about the exact nature of their friendship--whether it was sexual, brotherly, or something in between--so there's a lot of room for interpretation. I especially liked the relationship between Gaveston and his young wife, Margaret--it's very touchingly portrayed.

by Susan Higginbotham

No comments: